Kansas City, MO Comique Theater Fire, Oct 1895

Lost His Life in a Burning Theater.

Kansas City, Mo., Oct 10.--Fire which started from an unknown cause on the stage of the old Comique theater yesterday resulted in the complete destruction of the building. $8,000 damage to an adjacent building occupied by Mrs. John Hughes as a saloon, and the death of Alvin E Canaday, brother-in-law of Chief Hale and a member of fire company No. 1. The loss on the theater is $12,000, on scenery $3,500, insurance on building and scenery $2,500. Beside these losses the Billy Rice Minstrel Company lost all of its scenery, wardrobe and other effects, valued at $1,500 or $2,000.

Lorain County Reporter, Elyria, OH 12 Oct 1895

Comments

Comique Theater Fire

The explosion of three magazines used for calcium lights blew out the front wall and spread the blaze. The wall fell upon Canaday, and when finally extricated, his skull was found to be broken, and he died at 10 o'clock today. The theatre was to have been closed next Saturday night. The Comique was one of the oldest theaters in the city and was owned by Mrs. John Hughes, and of late years has been the home of vaudeville.

Morning World-Herald, Omaha, NE 10 Oct 1895