Aladdin, MO Train Wreck, Jan 1892


Collision on the Wabash Road at Aladdin, Missouri.


Two Others Probably Fatally Injured and Many More Badly Hurt – Two Cannon Ball Trains Crash Together – Fire Adds to the Horrible Catastrophe.

JACKSONVILLE, Ills., Jan. 6. -- Six men were killed outright, two probably fatally injured and many others badly hurt in a collision yesterday morning between the east and westbound cannon-ball trains on the Wabash road, at Aladdin, Mo., a small station, near Hannibal.
The victims are: A. S. BOUCHARD, engineer, killed outright.
JAMES WILSON, engineer, killed.
Four Italian emigrant passengers, names unknown, killed and cremated.
HENRY WARBOYS, fireman, of Springfield, fatally injured.
ED CONWELL, fireman, not expected to live.
The trains were the eastbound and westbound cannon-ball trains. The eastbound had the right of way, and was waiting at Aladdin for the other train, No. 41, to take the siding. The night was foggy, and Engineer BOUCHARD was not very well acquainted with the run and failed to stop at the switch, but went rushing by into the station at a high rate of speed.
He was unable to see anything ahead of him, at least this is the supposition. The engines came together with a terrific crash, and in an instant all was confusion. To add to the horror of the scene the trains took fire consuming the baggage and smoking cars and one chair car. The remainder of the cars were saved.
The body of BOUCHARD was found pinned to the ground under his engine, and his fireman was fatally injured. CHARLES WILSON, the engineer of the eastbound train, was buried in the wreck and his body has not yet been found. His fireman was severely injured, but may recover.
Besides the four Italian emigrants killed, several more were wounded. The belated train passed through here at 11 o'clock.

The Lima Daily Times Ohio 1892-01-06


Henry Warboys, fireman on Wabash Cannonball

Henry Warboys mentioned in the above article did survive this crash. Apparently, after the emergency responders attended to the other wounded, they went back to find Henry alive. He was the brother of my great grandmother, Christine Warboys Milford.

His older brother, John Warboys was also a railroad engineer. John died on his last day of work in a crash between Los Angeles and San Diego in 1925. If anyone has further information on that crash, please let me know.