Marshfield, MO Tornado, Apr 1880 - Levelled by Tornado

Webster County Courthouse after April 1880 tornado Marshfield, MO Tornado April 188o


Marshfield, Mo., Leveled by a Hurricane.

The Debris Immediately Takes Fire in Several Places.

Eighty Dead Bodies Taken Out and Many More in the Ruins

Two Hundred People Wounded and No Physicians Left to Attend Them

Relief Trains With Doctors, Nurses and Supplies Sent From Neighboring Towns


St. Louis, April 19. – Reports have been received that nearly the whole town of Marshfield, Mo., was blown down by a terrific wind storm last evening and then burned, resulting in frightful loss of life. Telegraph wires are all down and nothing direct from the seat of the calamity can be obtained.

LATER – From passengers who passed through Marshfield on the St. Louis & San Francisco railroad at 8:30 o’clock last night, a few facts concerning the terrible disaster are gleaned. A man who came to the depot at the edge of the town while the train was there, reported that at 6:30 o’clock a furious hurricane struck the place and leveled all that part of the town lying west of Centre square flat to the ground. The debris immediately took fire in several places and the flames could be seen at some half dozen points by passengers on the train.

Had been taken out and many more were supposed to be buried in the ruins or burned up. There were also many living still imprisoned in the debris of fallen buildings. All the physicians of the town were killed, excepting two, and there was great need of doctors to attend the wounded of whom it was said there were some 200. A relief train with twenty physicians and nurses and full supplies left Springfield, Mo., this morning, for Marshfield. Probably other trains will arrive during the day.
The storm was general in southeastern Missouri, and other places probably suffered damage, but as the telegraph wires are all prostrated no advices have been received. A violent hail and rain accompanied the wind.

St. Louis, April 19. – A telegram from Springfield, via Vinita and Kansas City, to C. W. Rogers, general manager of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad says a hurricane passed a few miles south of Springfield at about 7 o’clock last night, doing an immense amount of damage and

Fifty deaths are reported on the James river, six miles south of Springfield, and a great many are missing. A train dispatcher of Conwry, fourteen miles this side of Marshfield, reports arriving there from Springfield at 11 o’clock and says he found a terrible looking country. From Northview seven miles west of Marshfield, to the latter point trees three feet through are torn entirely out of the ground, telegraph poles twisted off and everything wrecked. The town of

brick as well as frame buildings being torn down. We did not see more than half a dozen people as we came through that town. The place seemed deserted. The doctors and nurses who came on our train from Springfield, about twenty in number, went from the depot alone to hunt up the people, there being no one at the depot to receive them. We sent a relief train from Lebanon to Marshfield at daylight this morning with about fifty doctors, nurses and helpers and full supplies of provisions clothing and medicine stores; also material for repairing the telegraph line. The line is down at different points between Springfield and Conway, perhaps ten miles altogether. A new Catholic church at Cuba: ninety miles from here, was blown down. No damage was done the railroad except the destruction of one small section house.
The names of the killed and wounded at Marshfield have not been received yet, telegraphic communication not being restored at this writing. There are also reports that the