Natchez, MS Concord Mansion Fire, Mar 1901
THE BURNING OF "CONCORD"
Old Mansion at Natches, Miss., Was Owned by a New Yorker.
Special to The New York Times.
NEW ORLEANS, March 23. - Fire has destroyed a historical mansion at Natchez, Miss. 'Concord' erected by the Spanish Governor Carlos de Grand Pre in 1789. When first built it was called Grand Pre, but when Gov. Manuel Cayoso de Lemas succeeded Gov. Grand Pre its name was changed to Concord, symbolizing the unity which then existed between the citizens, Indians, and the Spanish Government. The house was afterward occupied by Cayoso's successor, Don Stephen Minor of Philadelphia. The house remained in possession of the Minors until a few years ago, when it was bought by Dr. Stephen Kelly, formerly of Natchez, but now President of the Fifth National Bank, New York. His son and bride are now at Melrose, another ante-bellum mansion.
Concord was a beautiful residence of the Spanish style of architecture. Two circular flights of marble steps led from the ground to the second floor. Much that was rare in the way of furniture was burned with the house.
In the early days of South Concord was the scene of the most magnificent entertainments ever give in Natchez. Gen. Anthony Wayne, Lafayette, McCleary, Sargent, Jefferson Davis, and Judah P. Benjamin were entertained there. It was at one time the home of Philip Nolan, the original character of Edward Everett Hale's novel, "The Man Without a Country." The last entertainment given in the house was that tendered to the Duke and Duchess of Manchester.
The New York Times, New York, NY 24 Mar 1901