Louisiana and Mississippi Tornadoes, Apr 1935

Tornadoes Ravage South; 26 Killed and 150 Injured

Storms Wreck Town and Visit Death on Two
Other Places in Mississippi — Nine Lost as
Houseboat Upsets in Louisiana

McCOMB, Miss., April 7 —Spring
tornadoes, tracing an erratic pattern
of death and destruction
through Louisiana and Mississippi,
left at least twenty-six dead and
about 150 injured tonight.
Mississippi bore the brunt of the
storms, which swept up the lower
valley country yesterday and last
Nine were reported drowned when
wind-lashed waters overturned a
houseboat near Lake Providence,
In the little town of Gloster,
where eight were reported killed,
half the population of 1,500 was
affected. Mayor Lewis Kahn said
156 homes were demolished, sixty nine
damaged and twenty stores
wrecked. The lighting and water
systems were wrecked and communication
lines blown down.
At Gillsburg, in the same section
of Mississippi, six were reported
killed. Three others met death at
Dolorosa plantation near by.
Gloster got its water from railway
storage tanks, and hundreds of
homeless were housed in box cars
and in the City Hall. Rescue parties
hunted the wreckage by lamp light
for dead and injured. Mayor Kahn
estimated the damage at $250,000.
At Gloster, a path of battered debris
which stretched for a mile
marked the path of the storm.
Huge oak trees were uprooted. Galvanized
iron roofing was torn from
houses and twisted on trees and
Hail preceded the tornado, which
residents said they saw coming as
a "black cloud."
A Civilian Conservation camp
near by sent 100 men into the section
about midnight to help. Emergency
Relief Administration workers
also assisted.
Relief work was directed by Mrs.
Marguerite Bishop of Hattiesburg,
Miss., Red Cross field director. An
emergency soup kitchen was set up
and hundreds were fed.
Rescue crews also took up the
hunt for the bodies of the nine persons
believed drowned in the houseboat
accident which occurred at a
logging camp six miles from Lake
Providence, La.
The storm struck at Gloster about
10:20 P . M., wrecked buildings in a
wide path and tore down power and
communication lines. Thunder showers
and hail followed the wind.
Mayor Kahn organized searching
parties which went about in the
darkness with lamps digging for
dead and injured in the debris.

April 8, 1935 edition of The New York Times