Biloxi, MS Fire, Nov 1900 - Swept by Flames, part 3

West side Fayard Street, north of Howard Avenue:

Sister’s school house.
Catholic Priest’s residence.
Charles Couevas, owner and occupant.

Southwest corner Howard Avenue and Fayard Street:

Vacant building owned by Fayard and three houses in rear on Fayard Street.
Building owned by Clemens and occupied by C. W. Buckingham, who lost all but his clothes.
Building owned by Clemens and occupied by Michael Louge, who saved his furniture.

East side Fayard Street toward beach:

Colored school house, occupied by Sisters of Mercy.
Sisters convent corner Fayard and Jackson Street.
Three houses belonging to Voivedich.
House on Jackson Street owned by George Bills and occupied by him.
Old Maybin residence, belonging to Jacquet.
Jacquet residence, Corner Fayard and Jackson Streets.

South of Jackson Street, on Fayard:

House owned and occupied by Mrs. Laimont.
Cottage owned by Haslin Estate.

On beach between Couevas street and Fayard:

Residence of Mrs. Cripple.
Summer home of Mrs. Charles.

Between Fayard and Reynoir on beach:

Two houses belonging to Haslon estate, one occupied.
Waverly residence, belonging to Dr. H. M. Folkes.

Back of the Beach:

Stable belonging to J. V. Hagan.

Corner Reynoir and Water Streets:

House owned by Fred Querens and occupied.
Two houses owned by Dr. H. M. Folkes, one occupied.

South side Water Street:

House owned by Mrs. Carstens, occupied by C. E. Pierson.
Residence owned and occupied by George W. Wilkes.

North side Water Street, house owned by Fred Querens and occupied by Frank Shaffer.
Two houses corner Jackson and Reynoir Street owned by Fred Querens, both occupied.
Two small cottages, Jackson Street owned by M. Perez, both occupied.
Two houses corner Jackson and Reynoir, owned by Griffin.
Two-story frame on Reynoir, owned by Mme. Reynoir and occupied by Charles Weaver.

In addition to the above there were some structures of which it was impossible to get any information, besides outbuildings too numerous to mention.

The work of removing the ruins of the fire began yesterday.

Several hundred dollars was raised by the King’s Daughters for the relief of the distresses and suffering from the fire.

Mr. L. Lopez estimated his losses by the fire at about $80,000.

The insurance agencies report their losses by fire as follows: Swan agency between $80,000 and $90,000; Theobald agency, $25,000.

There were many incidents connected with this notable and memorable conflagration which the want of space precludes out mentioning at this time, but we may allude to some of them later.

Daily Herald, Biloxi, MS 11 Nov 1900