Mason, MI Fire, May 1871

FIRE AT MASON.—The village of Mason was yesterday visited by a destructive fire. In the morning, about 7 o’clock, a fire broke out in Pack & Lauren’s stream sawmill, totally destroying it. The fire extended to Brown’s sash and blind factory, and Waldron’s bracket shop, burning those buildings to the ground. The loss is about $8,000, with no insurance. The fire broke out in the engine room of the sawmill, and occurred by the carelessness of the engineer.

Jackson Daily Citizen, Jackson, MI 4 May 1871