Chicopee, MA Asphyxiation, Mar 1898


SPRINGFIELD, Mass., March 20.---Kasimir Obara and Szymon Galuszka, two Poles, were found dead in bed this morning in the parochial residence connected with the Independent Polish Catholic Church of Chicopee. It is supposed that they were drunk when they went to bed and carelessly built a rousing fire in the hot-air furnace in the cellar of the house.

They permitted the register to remain open and then went to bed. Coal gas and hot air came up in such quantities that the medical examiner considered that they died in an hour after retiring. Obara was the household servant of the pastor of the church, and Galuszka was a friend whom he had induced to spend the evening with him.

The New York Times, New York, NY 21 Mar 1898