Buzzards Bay, MA Jefferson Residence Fire, Apr 1893

JOE JEFFERSON'S RESIDENCE BURNED.

BUZZARDS BAY, Mass., April 1.---The beautiful summer residence of Joseph Jefferson, the actor, was totally destroyed by fire this afternoon. HELEN McGRATH, the cook, perished in the flames. Several of the help received serious injuries. Mrs. Jefferson and other members of the family escaped uninjured. The fire was caused by an explosion of gasoline in the cellar. It is estimated that $150,000 worth of paintings were consumed, and that the total loss will be $250,000.

The State, Columbia, SC 2 Apr 1893