123

Lenox, MA Ford Farm Barn Fire, Aug 1909

LENOX.

Big Barn Destroyed by Fire.

Fire destroyed the large barn on the Ford farm, owned by Leonard C. Peters and Isaac J. Newton yesterday afternoon. The barn was 50 by 100 feet in size and contained 70 tons of hay. It is thought that the fire started from the hay, which ignited by spontaneous combustion. George R. Bull, clerk at Hotel Aspinwall, discovered the fire and telephoned an alarm to the central telephone station. As there were no hydrants near the property the department was not summoned. Foremen Hutchinson of the fire brigade went to the farm in a motor but there was no way of offering aid. The structure was totally destroyed. The loss on the building is $3000, on contents $1000. It was said yesterday that there was no insurance on the building. The farm was leased to Frank Newton of Richmond, on whom the loss on the contents falls.

Springfield Daily Republican, Springfield, MA 14 Aug 1909

123