Boston, MA Mattress Fire, Dec 1910

Awakens Lodgers When Mattress Is Burning

Two men, lodgers at 184 Sumner street, East Boston, had a narrow escape from being burned to death early last night and were awakened when the mattress of their bed was afire by John McGeney of 173 Maverick street, who, after rousing them, was so seriously burned when he attempted to extinguished the flames that he was removed to the Relief Station.

The men went to sleep leaving a kerosene lamp burning on a table. The lamp exploded. McGeney, who was in an adjoining room, smelled smoke and awakened the sleepers just in time to save them from being burned.

Boston Journal, Boston, MA 26 Dec 1910