Le Beau, LA Flood, May 1927

STREETS OF LE BEAU, LA., ARE INUNDATED

IN SOME PLACES IN THE TOWN THE WATER IS TEN FEET DEEP.

The Great Plantations of That State Have Been Saved, Government And State Engineers Reported Today.

NEW ORLEANS, LA., May 18 -

The romantic and colorful Lower Mississippi Valley country today was gripped in the great flood man.

The little colony of LeBeau, inhabited by mulattoes, now is deserted as ten feet of water courses over the streets. The old fort established by Jean Lafitte probably will be over run by flood waters within a week. Quiet Acadian villages, dotted with pictuesquet(sic) little frame houses, have been destroyed by the full brunt of angry waters.

But as the Acadian country was whipped down by flood waters the great plantations have been saved, government and state engineers believe. The tide of the Tensas Basin has swept into the "sugar bowl" and probably has brought relief to the rich plantation areas, it was believed. A break of the Atchafalaya levee near Melville-a break that already has widened to 1,000 feet-has lessened the hazard of the levees toppling farther south. It is believed the territory from 100 miles north of Baton Rouge on down to the sea is safe.

The wide fertile land west of Atchafalaya appeared semi-evacuated today. Long caravans of mule drawn wagons were moving along the roads before the approaching flood and thousands, who have stubbornly remained in the homes, now are being removed by the fleet of boats being operated out of Opelousas.

Reports of drowning in the "sugar bowl" area today were depreciated by Adjutant General Toombs (sic).

"The situation is bad enough without making it worse," he said.

"The reports are founded entirely on rumor."

The Acadians have migrated slowly. Their unwillingness to leave their quaint cottages has caused reproach from relief workers.

Thousands of them now, however, are encamped along the high plainland west of the "sugar bowl" and hundreds more are in the refugee camps. The mulattoes of Le Beau, quaint town in St. Landry's Parish, also have moved westward.

The Latter, dwelling for years in the village where no whites nor negroes lived, first permitted farmers and their families to move several days ago. Residents of the town established by Father LeBeau remained at their homes. Today, however, the entire village is under water and deserted.

The old fort where Lafitte, the pirate had his one romance, also is in the path of the flood waters. Engineers say that the bayou, wherein Layfitte (sic) sent his smuggling craft, soon will be under several feet of water.

The Chillicothe Constitution, Chillicothe, MO 18 May 1927