Various Towns, LA Hurricane Damage, Aug 1926



New Orleans, La., Aug. 26. -- The Gulf coast was staggering today under the force of a tropical hurricane sweeping in from the Gulf of Mexico. The storm developed late yesterday and raged throughout the night. Immense damage was reported early today and efforts were being made to confirm reported loss of life.
Great uneasiness was felt for small fishing schooners that had failed to make port before the hurricane broke. The wind and sea reached a velocity of 100 miles an hour.
Morgan Point, La., was first to feel the force of the storm. Fishing schooners were overturned and a ferry boat wrecked. The city was in darkness last night, the current having been shut off when live wires broke and fell, endangering the lies of pedestrians.
Great havoc was reported from summer fishing camps along the bayous in Terrebonne, Lafourche and Lower Jefferson.
New Orleans was deluged by more than three inches of rainfall. The wind smashed signs and crippled telephone service. The storm was similar to that which swept the Florida coast a month ago
causing loss of life and great property damage.
The high winds smashed many windows in New Orleans and crippled wire facilities along the coast. The first alarm system here was put out of commission by a fire in the alarm office and the fire department was handicapped in fighting scores of fires which sent them to all parts of the city.
The most serious blaze was at Tulane university, where the chemistry building was damaged to the extent of $25,000.
City traffic was blocked by fallen trees and live wires and the high winds tore down signs. High tides were reported in Lake Ponchertrain and citizens made frantic efforts to get in touch with their families vacationing on the coast.

The Port Arthur News Texas 1926-08-26






Crippled telegraph and telephone lines hampered the obtaining of detailed information regarding the toll taken by the Gulf hurricane that swept inland Wednesday night at Morgan City, La., but five are known dead in the stricken area and property damage will likely mount to considerably more than two million dollars, meagre dispatches said this afternoon. The loss at Morgan City alone will total more than one million dollars, the shook mill of the Texas Company and properties of lumber companies suffering most heavily. One of the largest plants of its kind in the world, the shook mill was struck by the full force of the raging winds and damage is known to have been intensive.
H. O. Preston, assistant superintendent of the case and package division of the Texas Company
here, left last night for Morgan City to inspect the damage done to the mill by the storm. Local Texas Company officials had received no word from him today. G. R. Boone is manager of the shook plant, which employes several hundred men.
Wire reports received here Friday said that practically every building in Morgan City was damaged by the hurricane. The wind reached a velocity of more than 100 miles per hour. Houses were sent crashing and scores of small crafts were swept from their moorings. A ferry boat plying between Morgan City and Berwick was torn from its anchorage and hurled against the steel bridge of the Southern Pacific Railway company.
Hundreds of Morgan City dwellings were untopped by the fierce winds, and debris now fills the streets. Scores of persons were slightly injured, but thus far no fatalities have been reported in that town.
Towns which bore the brunt of the hurricane as it raged inland were Morgan City, Pontchatoula and Hammond, the storm rapidly losing its force as it veered darther from the Gulf. Damage to crops will be gigantic, reports said. Dozens of wide plantations were swept almost clean by the winds, the storm tearing through the heart of the sugar cane district. Rice crops suffered heavily when salt water was swept in from the Gulf.
At New Orleans a lineman was electrocuted as he attempted to repair a high voltage wire, and a seaman at Gulfport, Miss., died instantly when an electric wire carrying more than 2000 volts fell on him during the storm. The other three known to be dead are negros whose cabins were hurled hundreds of yards by the ferocious power of the gales.
All lines of communication are crippled in south eastern Louisiana, but most of these are being repaired. It will be weeks before normal service is resumed, however, officials stated. Railway trains
were delayed in the devastated area. Coaches were damaged by the high winds.
The horror of a night spent aboard ferry barges on the Mississippi River was told by 70 persons today, at New Orleans. The barges were grounded on mudbanks when two tugs lost control of them during the heighth of the hurricane.

The Port Arthur News Texas 1926-08-27