Kansas City, KS Airplane Crash, Jan 1930



Kansas City, Kas., Jan. 28.----(AP)---Burned and mutilated bodies of four men and one woman lay today in Kansas City morgues, victims of a crash of a Central Airlines plane which dived, and exploded into a mass of seething flames last night within a mile of it destination, Fair airport.

Cause Is Secret of the Dead.

Cause of the accident probably will remain a secret of the dead. Almost as soon as the charred bodies of the four passengers and pilot were removed, employes[sic] of Universal Airlines, Inc., a subsidiary with Central Airlines of Aviation Corporation, hacked to pieces the still smoking frame of the plane and dragged its parts to widely separated sections of a stubbled corn field.

Even the pathetic remnants of the passengers person baggage---a magazine, a box of cough medicine, a woman's handkerchief---were destroyed by a fire built upon the spot where the single-motored plane imbedded itself in soft black earth.

List of Victims

The dead are:

DYKE LAUDEMAN, Kansas City, Kas., pilot. C. R. McKINNON, Chicago business man. JAMES B. EGGERT, Chicago, music publisher. MISS MARGARET DICE, St. Joseph, Mo., and WILLIAM FLYNN, Kansas City, former city alderman and theatre owner.

All are believed to have been killed by impact of the plane, the second section of the regular Central Airlines afternoon flight from Wichita, when it sideslipped and dived from an altitude of about 500 feet.

Motor Sounded Normal

The plane appeared over the airport almost 30 minutes late. Airport attendants said it circled the field with motor apparently droning normally. Then, south of the airport, already flattening for the landing, it faltered, dipped and plunged into a cornfield. An explosion marked the moment of impact and flames roared into the air.

Employes[sic] of a nearby factory and airport attendants rushed to the wreck with fire extinguishers but were unable even to approach the plane because of the blistering heat.

The passengers, blackened and seared almost beyond recognition, were pitched forward in a grim huddle against the motor, jammed through the splintered cabin.

Blame Failure of Controls

Aviators said they believed the most plausible explanation of the tragedy was failure of controls. Laudeman had been flying seven years and was known as an unusually cautious pilot.

Dr. L. S. Fisher, deputy coroner, said an inquest would be held today. The deputy coroner said he gave orders that the debris was to be left untouched. However, workmen for the Universal Aviation Corporation, directed by F. L. Sloniger, branch manager here, advanced on the wreck with hacksaws, axes, and roped immediately after departure of Dr. Fisher and within an hour only scattered parts of the metal frame-work could be found.

Sloniger reported the accident to Richard H. Lees, jr., district inspector for the aeronautical branch of the department of commerce, and said Lees gave permission to remove the wreckage to a hanger.

Threaten Photographers

Newspaper photographers were threatened and told they would get "badly hurt" if they attempted to take pictures of the debris. Despite the warnings, however, photographs were obtained.

Sloniger said Paul Goldsborough of Chicago, vice president in charge of operations of the line, would arrive here today to conduct an investigation.

Wisconsin Rapids Daily Tribune, Wisconsin Rapids, WI 28 Jan 1930



Big Passenger Plane Goes into Nose Dive While Circling Airport to Land---Bursts into Flames and is Destroyed.

Kansas City, Kans., Jan. 28.----Four passengers and Pilot Dyke Laudeman were killed late yesterday in the crash of a single-motored Central Air Lines plane bound from Wichita, Kans., to Kansas city. The plane fell in a dense undergrowth at the edge of Fairfax airport here.

The ship was the second section of the regular 3 p. m. passage from Wichita. The first plane arrived safely with 10 passengers just before the other ship plunged to earth and burst into flames.

H. H. Brown, of Kansas City, who was awaiting the arrival of a passenger on the plane almost a mile away, flying at an at an altitude of approximately 400 feet.

"It appeared that the pilot was going to come on in on the same level and make a nice landing," he said.

"Suddenly, almost before anyone could tell what was happening, the plane swung downward in a sharp nose dive, and without any alteration of it course plunged to earth about 3,000 feet from the field.

"The plane burst into flames and was destroyed."

The five passenger travel air plane, second section of the regular 3 p. m. flight out of Wichita, dipped suddenly into a nose dive at the low altitude and plunged into the dense undergrowth about 3,000 feet from the airport.

Five passengers and Pilot Laudeman left Wichita at 3:30 p. m., a halt hour behind schedule A man who booked passage as "Mr. Haffler" left the plane at Topeka. C. K. Ettinger, of Wichita, who had registered for passage, did not make the trip.

The ill-fated plane arrived over the airport and circled according to regulations at 5:28 p. m., and then suddenly crashed to the earth.

Field attendants rushed out with fire extinguishers but were unable to fight the flames because of the intense heat.

All of the occupants of the ship were believed to have died instantly as the result of the impact.

The Landmark, Statesville, NC 30 Jan 1930



Coroner Charges That Ruins of Airplane Were Quickly Destroyed---Company Official Say Wreckage Removed for Investigation.

Kansas City, Kansas, Jan. 28.----Hasty removal of the wreckage of a Central Air Lane passenger plane which crashed here late yesterday and burned, killing five persons, today brought threats of prosecution from county authorities and a denial by officials of the company that the wreckage had been destroyed.

The coroner of Wyandotte declared that the wrecked ship had been destroyed by officials and workmen of the Central Air Line who rushed to the scene. He declared such procedure was "unheard of" in case of an accident and declared he would have those responsible prosecuted if possible.

Officials of the air line asserted on the other hand that they had received permission from Richard H. Lees, department of commerce aeronautical inspector, to move the wreckage and that it had been taken to a hangar for the investigation conducted by the company officials today.

The Landmark, Statesville, NC 30 Jan 1930