Norwalk, IA Lightning Strike, Jul 1867

FREAK OF LIGHTNING.--We have been informed by our old friend Swan of a rather singular lightning accident which happened near Norwalk, on the 6th inst. The house of Mr. McClary was struck, the flash passing down the stove pipe, melting one of the legs of the stove, and passing from there across the floor to where Mrs. McClary was resting on the bed. In its journey it tore the shoes from the feet of the woman, turning the skin of one foot as black as African tan. No one was hurt, with the exception of the lady being badly shocked.

Daily Iowa State, Des Moines, IA 16 Jul 1867