Dune Park, IN Lake Shore Train Derails, Dec 1889



Chesterton, Ind., Dec. 8. -- The New York limited express, west bound, over the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad, was wrecked at Dune Park, a sand shipping station thirty-five miles east of Chicago, last evening at 8 o'clock. The accident was caused by a misplaced switch, which threw the passenger train into a train of empty sand cars standing on the side track. On striking the switch the engineer reversed his engine and put on brakes, but as the train was going at the rate of forty miles an hour, and the cars were but a few rods from the switch, he was unable to avoid the crash. The train consisted of one baggage car, two coaches, two sleepers and a chair car. The locomotive was thrown across the main track and is totally wrecked, the three front cars being crushed to pieces. It is little less than a miracle that the passengers escaped serious injury. As it was one railroad employe was fatally hurt, two others sustaining serious injuries.
The names are as follows:
GEORGE WILSON, fireman, left arm cut off just below the shoulder, and died three hours after the accident.
C. C. HARRIS, conductor, Elkhart, severely cut about the head and arms and sprained between the shoulders.
A. M. BECKETT, engineer, Elkhart, arm and face badly hurt.
When the collision occurred, a number of the passengers were thrown from their seats, but beyond a few slight bruises none were hurt. They were all placed in the two uninjured coaches and brought to this place, whence they proceeded over the Michigan Central. The sand shipping station where the wreck occurred is run by the Knickerbocker Ice Company. A train is stationed a Chesterton, which hauls this sand to Whiting for the Standard Oil Company. This train placed the empty cars on the wrecked switch at 6:30 p.m., and ran out of the switch to Chesterton, reaching there at 6:45, ahead of the east bound limited, which is due here at 6:55. The east bound passenger train broke the switch but passed over it safely, and no other train passed over the track until a few minutes before 8 o'clock, when the west train came along.

Logansport Journal Indiana 1889-12-08