Coatesville, IN Train Wreck, Jan 1895 - Dead and Injured List

Two Killed Twelve Hurt

Spreading of the Track was the Cause of the Accident.

John W. Norton One of the Dead

Zelda Seguin Wallace Was Badly Injured-Several of Those Hurt Are in a Critical Condition.

Indianapolis, Ind., Jan. 28.-The New York Express from St. Louis, on the Vandalia Railroad, was wrecked this afternoon at Coatesville. Two persons were killed and about a dozen injured.

The Dead.
Those killed were:

The Injured.
The injured are:
FERGUSON, Mrs. N.W., of Terre Haute; right side hurt, internal injuries.
HUDSON, Mrs. D., of Greencastle; cut on head.
MENDENHALL, D.W., Of Terre Haute; badly cut about head.
NEGEON, S., of Vigo, Texas; seriously hurt about head, will probably die.
PARRISH, GERTRUDE, a child of Palestine, Ind.; cut about head.
ROBERTS, Mrs. MARGARET, of Indianapolis; serious internal injuries.
TALBOTT, Dr. J.H., of Indianapolis; seriously hurt about head and internally injured.
WALLACE, SELDA SEGUIN, of Indianapolis; badly injured internally.
WHITTING, EWING O., of Boston; cut on face.
WHITTING, Mrs. EWING O., of Boston; seriously injured internally.
WRAP, F.L., badly hurt about head.

The train was running at full speed and was about ten minutes late. It had just passed the town and was rounding a curve when the track spread. The private car of President W.R. McKeen, which was in the rear, jumped the track. This was followed by the parlor car, and then the ladies’ car. All went off the track, the rear cars going off the embankment ten feet. The smoking car left the track, but did not go over. The two rear cars caught fire, but the flames were extinguished when the work of rescue began.

Mr. NORTON of St. Louis died soon after being taken from the car. In his pocket were found letters giving his name, and showing that he had come from St. Louis. He was carried to a schoolhouse, unconscious, and lived about twenty minutes. Mrs. TOWERS died while being taken to the schoolhouse. The injured were carried up the embankment to houses alongside the track, and soon the townspeople and physicians gathered to give assistance.

JOHN W. NORTON was about fifty-five years old, and for many years was manger of the Olympic and manger and proprietor of Pope’s Theatre in St. Louis, purchasing the latter of Charles W. Pope when he retired from management and the stage. Mr. NORTON in his earlier days was a juvenile actor of the dashing style, playing such parts as Dazzle and Mercutio quite as well as the average actor of his line. He played in New-York several seasons, and was widely known and well liked there. At different times he was engaged in the support of the elder Booth, Edwin Forest and John McCullough, and, though, he virtually retired from the stage when he assumed the cares of management, he continued to act occasionally at benefits or on other special occasions.

In 1987 Mr. NORTON’S name was brought into unpleasant prominence throughout the world by the elopement of his wife, who was an actress when he married her, with Henry W. Moore, managing editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Mr. Moore died later in this city. The elopement was a heavy blow to Mr. NORTON, and nearly cost him his reason. He attempted to commit suicide, but recovered, and the regained some of his old-time energy and ambition.

No manger in the country had more sincere friends than JOHN W. NORTON. He was as well known in New-York as in St. Louis, and his career as an actor had taken him to every section of the country, adding to his acquaintances and friendships.

MRS. ZELDA SEGUIN WALLACE was, years ago, one of the most prominent operatic and concert singers in the United States, although lately her appearances have been confined to the concert stage. She gained a national reputation as a member of the Hess, Emma Abbott, and Duff Opera Companies for many seasons. Since her retirement from active professional work she has devoted her time largely to charity.

The New York Times, New York, NY 29 Jan 1895