Muncie, IN Warehouse Gas Blast, Jan 1953

2 KILLED, 7 HURT IN GAS BLAST AT WAREHOUSE.

Muncie, Ind., Jan. 5 (INS) -- A spark from an electric heater was blamed today for a gas explosion that killed two men and injured seven others in a Muncie wholesale fruit warehouse.
Officials said that a spark touched off ethylene gas used in a banana ripening process.
The blast rocked Muncie Sunday and brought a flood of inquiries to police from towns and villages as far as seven miles away.
It unroofed and blew down three walls of a sprawling, one story, concrete block annex to the warehouse.
The victims were GEORGE BROWN, 29, and SANFORD JESSE, 65, both of Muncie. The injured men, none seriously, are being treated at Muncie hospital. The nine workers were cutting and packing bananas in the warehouse at the time of the explosion.
Fire department officials estimated damage at $80,000 to $85,000.

Sandusky Register Star News Ohio 1953-01-05