Chicago, IL West Gate Hotel Fire, Dec 1924

Man Suffocates in Hotel Blaze

By Associated Press

Chicago - One man met death by suffocation and a number of other lodgers escaped in scanty attire and lost their personal effects Friday when fire swept through the West Gate Hotel, a three story structure on the far south side. Smoking by a lodger is believed by authorities to have caused the fire.

SIMON WEEL, 65, was the victim, who was trapped on the second floor. He was dead when firemen reached him. Most of the lodgers are employees of the International Harvester Co. The damage to the building and its contents were estimated at $15,000 and $20,000.

Appleton Post Crescent. Appleton, WI 12 Dec 1924