Chicago, IL Murphys Grocery Fire, Aug 1878

The alarm from box 71, at 0:48 [sic] o'clock last night, was caused by fire in William Murphy's grocery, 230 Sherman street. Damage about $25; insured. The fire was discovered n the children's bedroom, and it is supposed to have originated from a light placed too near clothing. Mr. Murphy was severely burned about the hands, while endeavoring to extinguish the flames, and his daughter, Katie, had her face scorched.

Their burns were dressed by Captain Bullwinkle.

The Inter Ocean, Chicago, IL 29 Aug 1878