Morris, IL Fire, July 1899

BOY BADLY BURNED
__________

Seven Year Old Son of Ben. Benson a Victim of a Coal Oil Explosion.

__________

HE WAS BUILDING A FIRE

___________

And Poured Kerosene From a Five Gallon Can Onto the Burning Embers--And An Explosion Followed, The Boy's Clothing Set On Fire And The Summer Kitchen Destroyed--Victim May Not Live.

Morris IL., July 26 - An eleven year old son of Benj. Benson, who lives about six miles north of Morris on the middle road, was burned so badly this morning while building a fire with coal oil, he may not live.

The little fellow used a five-galon can of oil in starting or reviving a fire in the range, and, while particulars are meagre this afternoon, it is said, the oil exploded and ignited the unfortunate lad's clothing. One arm was badly burned, the flesh being charred, and several severe burns on the body caused great suffering. It is not thought the boy will live. Dr. A.E. Palmer was called out to dress the injuries and attend to the boy's bedside.

The summer kitchen in which the fire occurred is said to have been completly destroyed and the only thing that saved the main dwelling was the fact that the kitchen was some distance away.

Benj. Benson was a resident of Morris until a few years ago, conducting a saloon business.

Morris Daily Herald 1899-07-26