Mazon, IL Ptomaine Poisoning Kills Little Girl, June 1912
POISON KILLS LITTLE GIRL
Only Child of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Waters.
HAD GONE INTO A PATCH TO ASSIST IN PICKING BERRIES AND WAS TAKEN SICK SOON AFTER--CONVULSION AFTER CONVULSION FOLLOWS AND END COMES IN FEW HOURS--FUNERAL WILL BE HELD IN MAZON SUNDAY AFTERNOON, REV. MRS. NEWPORT, OF OTTAWA, OFFICIATING.
Mazon, Ill., June 15 - Ptomaine poisoning caused the death last night of Velma, aged four and one-half years, only child of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Waters, prominent residents of Mazon. The child was taken sick about 9 o'clock yesterday morning and died at 11 o'clock at night, after going from one convulsion into another.
The food which caused the poisoning is not definitely known. Thursday the child ate some ice cream cones and bananas, but she seemed to suffer no ill-effects from them.
May Have Been Strawberries.
Friday morning the little girl went into a strawberry patch to assist in picking berries, and she ate some of the fruit. Awhile later she said she was tired and she sat down and rested. She soon complained of being sick, and in the afternoon went into convulsions.
Dr. Gilbourne, of Mazon, was first called, and when the child became so seriously sick he summoned Dr. Frank Palmer, of Morris, in consultation.
Death Comes to Child.
The case was diagnosed as ptomaine poisoning and every effort was made to relieve the little girl, but to no avail. The convulsions could not be checked and the child died during one of them.
The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon with services at the Congregational church at 2:30 o'clock. Rev. Mrs. N. G. Newport, of Ottawa, universalist minister, will officiate. Interment in Mazon cemetary.
Morris Daily Herald 1912-06-15