Evanston Point, IL (Lake Michigan) Schooner WELLS BURT Wrecked, May 1883
LOST IN THE LAKE.
THE SCHOONER WELLS BURT GOES DOWN IN LAKE MICHIGAN WITH ALL HER CREW.
ACTIVE SEARCH FOR THE BODIES OF THE LOST MEN WHO NUMBER ELEVEN.
Chicago, May 24.
The beautiful three-mast schooner Wells Burt is now reported among the ill-fated craft that succumbed to the elements Sunday night. She is owned by Mr. J. S. Dunham. The Wells Burt sailed from this port with the first fleet after the opening of navigation on the 1st of May. She carried 58,000 bushels of corn, and her destination was Buffalo. The vessel was on her return trip, laden with 1,540 tons of anthracite coal. Captain THOMAS FOUNTAIN, was in command.
The rest of the crew are:
WILLIAM F. CODY, mate.
DANIEL FOUNTAIN, Captain's son.
J. W. WHITE.
Two men unknown.
One boy unknown.
Captain Smith, of the Rising Star, states that he saw the spars of a wreck at Grosse Point north of Evanston. From flotsam that was picked up from the doomed schooner the Captain was led to believe that she was the Wells Burt. An oil-can bearing a tag with the name of the vessel was found.
Mr. Dunham and a large crew went to Evanston in a tug, and are now at work on the wreck. At this writing no bodies have been recovered, and no news from the wreck has been received. There is not a shadow of doubt that the Wells Burt has gone down without leaving a survivor to tell the terrible story.
A sensational rumor was afloat this morning, which has much the resemblance of a hoax, to the effect that a bottle was found on the lake front at the foot of Twenty-fifth Street containing a note.
It purported to announce the sinking of the Sea Gull, and was signed by James Donahue, mate.
Vessels have not commenced to leave the river in any great numbers yet, but the weather-beaten craft that were kept afloat through the storm are coming in. The Ottawa, beached at South Chicago Monday, arrived this morning, assisted by the tug Ewing. She presented a battered appearance and was minus her jibboom. She was towed up the river, and will go into drydock for repairs.
Logansport Journal Indiana 1883-05-24