Chicago, IL Eastland Disaster, Jul 1915 - Pennsy Men See Eastland



Herbert Telley and J. G. A. Litot Just Missed the Boat--Roadmen See It.

Among the Fort Wayne people who went to Chicago Saturday were several Pennsylvania employes [sic].

One of them, Jerry Danehy, 605 Masterson avenue, was a passenger on the Eastland, and luckily escaped death, although the two young ladies with whom he went on the excursion, were drowned. Danehy wired yesterday to his mother, Mrs. Margaret Danehy, the brief message:

"Was saved. Two girls with me were drowned."

Mr. Danehy, who is twenty-three years old, went to Chicago Friday to accompany two girls, employes [sic] of the Western Electric company, on the excursion. Further details of the young man's escape are not known here, and his return to the city is eagerly awaited by the members of his family. The mother, a brother, Daniel J. Danehy, employed by the Protective Electrical Supply company, and a sister, Margaret M. Danehy, employed by the Grosvenor Hardware company, lived with Jerry.

"Just Missed It."

"Believe me, kid, Litot and I were some lucky," said Herbert Telley, 227 Williams street, who, with J. G. A. Litot, 308 West Butler street, went to Chicago early aSturday [sic] morning to go on the excursion, and arrived just after the boat had put out. "Five minutes earlier and we would have been in Davy Jones' locker just as sure as pie. We stuck around on the pier for a few minutes and then Litot got sick seeing all those bodies around in the water and hearing them scream, and we beat it.

According to the stories told by the two young men, who are employed in the Pennsylvania shops, it was everybody for himself. Only a few people with level heads were able to save anyone, or do any real work of rescuing.

Pennsylvania train crews coming into the city from Chicago today also had a number of stories to tell of the disaster. All of the men on their layovers in Chicago went to the water front to get a glimpse of the boat, and some arrived early. Division Engineer Graham, of the Chicago terminal division of the Pennsy, was in the city yesterday and told of seeing two men brought up with their arms tightly locked about each other. Each man had clung to the other to be saved, and both being unable to swim, they had gone down together. He also told of seeing men and women wragged with their clothes torn completely off by the clutches of comrades, who had fought for something on which to cling in a last effort to save themselves.

Fort Wayne News, Fort Wayne, IN 26 Jul 1915