Litchfield, CT United States Hotel Fire, Apr 1910

United States Hotel, Litchfield, CT


House In Which Lafayette Was Entertained Damaged $10,000.

Special to The New York Times.

WINSTED, Conn., Dec. 23.---The old United States Hotel in Litchfield, built about 130 years ago and the scene of a ball in honor of Marquis Lafayette when he visited this country in 1824, was damaged to the extent of $10,000 by fire and water to-day.

The second and third stories of the hotel were destroyed. The blaze started in the attic from the chimney or from eclectic wires.

The New York Times, New York, NY 25 Apr 1910