Hartford, CT Elevator Accident, Nov 1899


Walter H. Lane, a Hartford Colored Man, Fatally Injured.


In Falling, He Grabbed the Elevator Rope and Started the Elevator---He Died at the Hartford Hospital Two Hours Later.

HARTFORD, Nov. 27---WALTER H. LANE, colored, elevator operator in the H[ineligible] building, met with an accident late yesterday afternoon, as a result of which he died at the hospital two hours later. LANE had been accustomed to all the guides of the elevator on Sundays. Yesterday he stood on the yoke, which is on the top of the elevator, oiling the guides, the elevator being on the third floor. According to LANE's story, he slipped backwards, his head striking the iron lining of the foot of the door on the third floor. The elevator is an iron cage which rounds in at the top. In falling backwards LANE grabbed the [ineligible] rope which quickly started the elevator downward and LANE's head was caught between the elevator and the wall of the shaft. His head was frightfully crushed in, though he was conscious until within a few minutes of his death.

The sudden drop of the elevator attracted the attention of C. H. Hale, the janitor of the building. He soon after heard LANE groaning. He ran down stairs and managed to open the elevator without a key. When Hale got on top of the cage LANE was able to take the key out of his pocket and hand it to him. The janitor took the wounded man out and called in Dr. John H. Rose. The doctor saw that LANE was seriously hurt and ordered the ambulance, which took him to the Hartford Hospital. LANE arrived at the hospital about 5 o'clock and at 6:30 he died, his father, Theodore Lane, being at his bedside. It was found the his jaw and nose were broken and his skull fractured.

WALTER H. LANE was 26 years old and was single. He was the son of Theodore Lane, of No. 316 Wethersfield avenue, who for the last 26 years has been employed at Sisson's drug store. Walter was a bright, educated young man, and was well liked. He had been working at the elevator of the Hills building since the building was remodeled last May. General Charles H. Prentice, the manager of the building, says that LANE was a bright, honest, and industrious workman and the manner of his death is very sad. LANE was a cabman before he worked in the Hills building. Besides his father and mother, he leaves three brothers---Peter, who is at [ineligible] drug store on main street; Frank Arthur, a cabman, and Warren, also a cabman. He also leaves a married sister.

New Haven Evening Register, New Haven, CT 27 Nov 1899