Cripple Creek, CO Fire, Apr 1894


The American House Burns and Others Get a Close Call.

CRIPPLE CREEK, April 19.---A fire broke out this morning in the American house, a frame rooming house on Bennett avenue, nearly opposite the Palace hotel. For a time the destruction of several adjoining buildings seemed certain. The fire department was quickly on hand and soom[sic] had the flames under control, but not until after the [the] building was ruined. The building is closely surrounded by numerous frame structures, the largest of which is the block occupied by the Palace drug store, the Morrell Hardware company, the Booth furniture store and Sands Brothers. Damages will reach $4000.

Aspen Weekly News, Aspen, CO 12 Apr 1894