Colorado Springs, CO House Fire Aug 1902

FIRE BURNED OUT AN AGED COUPLE.

Shortly after 1 o'clock this morning a fire alarm from box 48 called the department to 230 West Vermijo street where a fire was destroying the personal effects of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Martin, an aged couple.

The place in which they were living was a small building covered with corrugated iron. The fire was entirely on the inside and the building was gutted. A man who was passing discovered the fire and with difficult awakened the occupants. Mrs. Martin is deaf and dumb and Mr. Martin was sleeping soundly. All the personal effects of the aged couple were destroyed. There was a small amount of insurance on the building and contents.

Colorado Spring Gazette, Colorado Springs, CO 5 Aug 1902