Sun Valley, CA Lumber Co Fire, Nov 1957

Fumes Fell 7 Firemen; 2 in Hospital

Two firemen were hospitalized and five others made ill yesterday by breathing chemical fumes while battling a fire in the A&P Lumber Co., 8701 San Fernando Road, Sun Valley.

A Fire Department spokesman said the poisonous fumes were formed when water came in contact with calcium phosphide in crystal form. The chemicals are used in surplus life rafts which the company sells.

Firemen Greeley Tice and Edgar M. Stewart were taken to Central Receiving Hospital, where they were held overnight for observation. The others were treated at the scene.

The fire did an estimated $25,000 damage to lumber and destroyed a lumber shed.

Six companies under Asst. Fire Chief Henry Sawyer brought the blaze under control in an hour.

Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles, CA 24 Nov 1957