Creston, WA Kitchen Stove Fire, May 1909

WOMAN BURNS TO DEATH USING KEROSENE FOR KINDLING

SPOKANE, May 25.---Mrs. I. N. Hodge was burned to death at Creston Sunday. She had started the fire in the kitchen stove and attempted to rekindle it by pouring kerosene from a glass jar.

A flame flashed up, igniting the oil and the explosion saturated her clothing, which was entirely burend[sic] from her body, leaving her charred and blistered from neck to ankles. She ran out of the house, where she was seen by neighbors, too late to save her.

Mr. Hodge, who was sick in bed, had first attempted to extinguish the blaze and was also badly burned.

Olympia Record, Olympia, WA 25 May 1909