Hopewell, VA Bus Plunges Into the River, Dec 1935

14 Die as Bus Plunges Into River; None Saved in Virginia Accident

Greyhound Coach From Richmond to Raleigh, N. C, Goes Through
Open Drawbridge Into 30 Feet of Water at Hopewell —
Driver Dead Before Accident, Company Aide Suggests.

HOPEWELL, Va., Dec. 22 —
Fourteen persons met death in the
icy waters of the Appomattox River
here today when an Atlantic Greyhound
bus plunged through an open
drawbridge. None of those aboard
was saved.
All of the bodies were recovered,
most of them when the bus was
raised by a crane late tonight from
thirty feet of water and placed
upon a barge.
The dead were nine white women,
three white men and two Negro
The victims identified were:
L. G. ADFORD, 38, the driver, Five
Points, N. C.
J. B. BELCH, Hopewell.
Mrs. J. W. MASSEY. Hopewell.
Mrs. RUBY MATTHEWS, Richmond.
N. C.
Mrs. JOHN CIZLER, 22, of Clarendon.
As efforts at identification of the
other bodies continued in.two Hopewell
funeral homes, a DUS line official
voiced the belief that the driver
was dead when the machine went
through the open span.
D. D. McAfee of Raleigh, district
superintendent of the company,
said that Alford's widow had
given her consent to an autopsy of
her husband's body.
The autopsy will be performed at
11 A. M. tomorrow by Drs. J. M.
Bailey and A. L. Herring at Richmond.
Commonwealth's Attorney John
Goodman said that he would start
an investigation of the accident at
the same hour.
The following names were found
on pieces of baggage:
Miss Gertrude and Miss Elizabeth
Fisher, McKenney, Va.; Mrs. J. M.
Gregory, Pittsboro, N. C ; Miss or
Mrs. Andrews, Pittsboro, N. C.
It was learned from Raleigh that
the baggage bearing the name of
Mrs. Gregory was carried by Mrs.
Duncan, her sister. Mrs. Gregory
was reported to be safe at her home
in Pittsboro.
When the huge bus was raised,
the driver was at his seat.
Larkin Glazebrook, investigator
of the State Motor Vehicle Division,
expressed the belief that the brakes
on the bus were frozen and the
driver was unable to stop. A witness
said, however, that the brakes
were fully applied.

Dec. 23, 1935 edition of The New York Times