Hardwick, VA Fire, Jul 1923
Fire Drives 15 Families From Their Homes Today
Hardwick, Va., July 3. – Fifteen families were made homeless today when fire threatened the business section. Seven buildings were destroyed. Damage was estimated at &150,000.
Aid was summoned from nearby towns. Company B of the National Guard of St. Johnsbury also were called out.
Logansport Pharos Tribune, Logansport, IN 3 Jul 1923
Fireworks Explosion Starts $150,000 Fire in Vermont
Hardwick, Vt., July 4. – Fire wiped out the heart of the business section of Hardwick early today, destroying five business blocks and two tenements, and driving ten families from their homes in their night clothing. The loss is estimated at $150,000.
The fire started from an explosion of fireworks in a small store directly beneath the barber shop of A. J. ROY, and the flames were quickly beyond control.
Firemen from Barre, Montpelier and Morrisville responded to calls for help and Ccompany D, 172nd Infantry, was rushed by special train from St. Johnsbury.
The Bee, Danville, VA 5 Jul 1923