Skip to Content

Barre, VT Main Street Fire, Feb 1903

BIG FIRE IN BARRE, VT.

Two Business Blocks Destroyed and the Loss Is Nearly $100,000.

BARRE, VT., Feb. 21.---A fire in the business section of this city on the Main Street early to-day destroyed nearly $100,000 worth of property. It started in the basement of the new Currier Block, and the tenants on the third floor of the building barely escaped. With the thermometer standing at 16 degrees below zero and the water freezing on the firemen and even to the burning building, the department was prevented from doing effective work.

As the flames spread it was decided to call on Montpelier for assistance, and by the aid given by the men from that city the flames were kept from going beyond the Currier Block, which was of brick, and the adjoining Sheplee Block of wood. These buildings were destroyed. All losses are partly covered by insurance.

The New York Times, New York, NY 22 Feb 1903



article | by Dr. Radut