Hallettsville, TX Train Breaks Through Bridge, Jan 1890

Don Milo Train Wreck, photo from the Portal to Texas History

Latest from the Wreck.

HALLETTSVILLE, TEX., Jan 4. -- Conductor Tower was rescued some distance down the stream only slightly bruised and came into town last night.  The body of the boy was found in a tree top seven miles below town.  Although diligent search has been going on since the wreck the bodies of the rear brakeman and Jim Lynch of Yoakum have not been found as yet.  George R. Burke, a passenger and ex-fireman died last night of his wounds and the body was sent to Houston on this evening's train.  The stream for twelve miles is strewn with the wreckage of cars and merchandise.  A large force of men is at work repairing the damage and trains will be running regularly by Monday.

LATER. -- The rear brakeman's body was found this evening six miles from the scene of the disaster.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 5 Jan 1890

--------

Aransas Pass Freight Wreck.

HALLETSVILLE [sic], Texas, January 6. -- The work of clearing away the Aransas Pass freight train wreck near Halletsville [sic] goes on rapidly.  A temporary bridge over the Lavaca river has been erected and tonight passengers went through without transfer.

Conductor Tower was rescued some distance down the stream only slightly bruised and came into town last night.  The body of the boy tramp was found in a tree top seven miles below town.  The body of James Dixon, the rear brakeman, was found this evening six miles from the scene of the disaster.  Diligent search has been going on since the wreck, but the body of Engineer Jim Lynch of Youkum [sic], Texas, has not been found.

George R. Burke, a passenger and ex-fireman, died last night of his wounds and the body was sent to Houston on this evening's train.

The stream for twelve miles is strewn with wreckage and merchandise.  Four deaths have resulted from the wreck with one still missing.

Daily Boomerang, Laramie, WY 6 Jan 1890

[Note the conductor is referred to as Conductor Ferrier and as Conductor Tower.]

Photo (above) from the Portal to Texas History.

Wreck of the Don Milo, Photograph, January 15, 1890; University of North Texas Libraries, The Portal to Texas History, crediting Friench Simpson Memorial Library, Hallettsville, Texas.