Blanket, TX Cotton Gin Fire, Oct 1879

GIN HOUSE AND COTTON BURNED

The cotton gin located at Blanket, or Anderson's store was destroyed by fire on the 20th, with about three bales of cotton, two of which belonged to F. A. Deatherage & Co. and the other to Mr. Tom Nelson. Mr. Carter looses [sic] his gin stand, valued at $250. The fire is supposed to have originated from a match or rock in the cotton which was being ginned, as it was first discovered in the lint room.

The gin had only been in operation a short time and was doing a good business, and its loss will be greatly felt in the neighborhood. Mr. Carter, we understand, intends replacing the gin at once.

The Comanche Chief, Comanche, TX 23 Oct 1879