Beeville, TX Masonic Lodge & Old Courthouse Fire, May 1888
THE FIRE RECORD
BEEVILLE, TEX., May 20. -- At 1 o'clock this morning a fire broke out in the saddlery store of Pollock & Nocker, in the Skaggs building, on the northeast corner of the square, opposite the court-house. A heavy rain storm was raging at the time but the flames soon spread to the adjoining building, a two-story frame building, the upper story of which is the Masonic lodge, the lower story a warehouse filled with agricultural implements belonging to the Kansas City Manufacturing Company of Kansas City. The things saved from the flames. The following are the approximate losses: F. J. Skaggs, house $2000; Pollack & Nocker, stock $800; Kansas City Manufacturing Company $1000. no insurance. The fire broke out inside and the origin is a mystery.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 21 May 1888
The building was originally built in 1860 and used as the second Bee County Courthouse. Soon after the building opening, the Masons received permission to add a second floor to the building to use as a Masonic Lodge. The building was used as a courthouse until 1879, when the third Bee County courthouse opened. The Masons purchased the building and used it until it was destroyed by fire. - Bee County Courthouses at historictexas.net