Galveston, TX Tarpon Pier Collapse, Jul 1909 - The Dead & Missing

Last Seen of Bettisons.

Everett, Bartender at Tarpon Pier, Tells of Seeing Couple, with Dailey, on Cupola.

Special To The News.
Galveston, Tex., July 23.-Lewis Everett, who was bartender at the Tarpon Pier and who was rescued by being drifted ashore at Houston’s Point, on the Cedar Bayou, and then walking ten miles to a farmhouse, where conveyance was had by which he reached LaPorte Thursday after the storm on Wednesday, is still at the St. Mary’s Infirmary, where he is doing very well. He is considerably bruised up from flying timbers and from being washed and buffeted by the waves, but he expects to be out in a few days.

When seen by a News reporter Friday Everett was still in no condition to talk very much and did not relate much of his experience. He stated in effect the same that he had done on Thursday night and added: “I don’t care to talk about it. You can imagine that the experiences were not very pleasant and I had rather not think of them.”

When asked when he had last seen Capt. and Mrs. BETTISON, he said: “the last time I saw them they, with Mr. Dailey were still in the cupola of the roof, which was floating intact. They were off Port Bolivar and were drifting toward the bay.”

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 24 Jul 1909


Girded With Life Preservers.

Bodies of Capt. And Mrs. R.L. Bettison Scantily Clad When Washed Up by Waves.

Houston, Tex., July 23.-The bodes of Capt. R.L. BETTISON and his wife, scantily clad and girded with life preservers, were found today by fisher boys at Morgan’s Point. The corpses were lashed and clasped together in the tangled seaweed where they were deposited by the receding waves. Capt. BETTISON and his wife were among the party of ten who were swept off a pier near Galveston by the hurricane on Wednesday.

Simultaneous with the report of the recovery of the bodies of the BETTISONS comes the news that Ernest A. Booth, a dining room boy, who was one of the party on the pier, was rescued alive near Morgan’s Point today. Booth had been floating on driftwood for nearly forty-eight hours and was nearly dead from exposure and hunger. He will recover.

Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 24 Jul 1909