Skip to Content

Charleston, SC Fire, May 1850

THE FIRE IN CHARLESTON.-----The Charleston papers are full of the details of the late fire. The Courier states the loss at $350,000 to $450,000, and does not doubt that it is the work of an incendiary.

The Hotel for some time was in imminent danger from the burning buildings on Hayne-street. The wind was blowing lightly from the South-West, and the flames were blown across the street, until they lapped and kissed the almost entire South side of the building, burning the window fences and shutters, and some of the floors on the basement. The Market Hall at one time was in imminent danger, but happily it did not take fire.

The store, know as No.1, situate at the corner of Meeting and Hayne-streets, was owned and occupied by Messrs. Townsends, Arnold & Co.----Their stock of Dry Goods was very much damaged by fire. ......................

No. 2, was occupied by D. F. Fleming & Co., Wholesale Shoe Dealers. Their stock of goods was partially injured. ....................

No. 3, was also owned by L. M. Wiley, and was in the occupation of Wiley, Banes & Co., extensive Dry Goods dealers. .................

Store No. 4, was occupied by Harrel, Hare & Co., dealers in Saddlery, &c., whose stock of goods was almost entirely consumed. ................

No. 5, was occupied by Kelsey & Bros., Dry Goods dealers, who have sustained a partial loss. ..............

No. 6, was tenanted by F. D. Fanning & Co., Hat and Cap Warehouse, whose stock of goods was almost entirely consumed. ................

No. 7, was occupied by Messrs. Gilliland & Howell, as Dry Goods merchants, a portion of whose Goods were saved. ...................

No. 8, was occupied by Courtney & Tennent, Hardware Merchants. Their stock of goods was partially saved. ...........

No. 9 was occupied by Hyatt, McBurney & Co., Dry Goods dealers. Goods removed in a damaged state. ..............

No.10 was occupied by James S. Beach, Book and Stationery Store, and above by G. Z. Waldrun & Co., as a Clothing Establishment. This tenement was owned by L. M. Wiley. .................

Another large building at the N. E. corner of Market and Meeting-streets was burned............

The Savannah Daily Republican, Savannah, GA 31 May 1850



article | by Dr. Radut