Allentown, PA House Fire, Jul 1990

FIRE KILLS TWO CHILDREN.

Allentown, Pa. - Neighbors rescued a mother but smoke and intense heat
kept them from saving three of her children from a fire that began accidentally in a child's bed, authorities said.
"I feel real bad about it," neighbor Benton Gordon said. "Maybe
if I had looked another five minutes before, I could have done more."
ASH'LEE NICOLE DeFIORE, 2, died in the blaze shortly before 8 a.m. Thursday. Her 3-year-old brother, EDDY L. DeFIORE, JR., was pronounced dead at Sacred Heart Hospital.
Five-year-old BRITTANY DeFIORE was in critical condition at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
in Philadelphia Friday night.
Their mother, TINA DeFIORE, received minor injuries. Neighbors rescued her from a third-floor window as she screamed for help.
Autopsies performed Thursday showed
ASH'LEE died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide intoxication and EDDY of smoke inhalation. Both deaths were ruled accidental.
Deputy Fire Chief Joseph D'Annibale
said the fire began in a bunk in the children's second floor rear bedroom. Investigators are unsure how it started.
"All I can say is that it was accidental and that children were involved," D'Annibale said.
The DeFLORES' apartment had no smoke detectors.
DeFIORE'S husband, Eddy DeFiore, Sr., was not at home when the fire started. Nor were the couple's other children, authorities said.

Logansport Pharos-Tribune Indiana 1990-07-17

Comments

"The 5-year-old girl who

"The 5-year-old girl who clung to life for 11 days with critical injuries from an Allentown apartment fire died Sunday at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia.

Brytany DeFiore died about 5 p.m., hospital spokeswoman Carol Norris said."