Philadelphia, PA Kilmer Home and Dougherty Stable Fire, May 1904
Her Own Home Afire As Blaze Stable Blazed
While Mrs. Kilmer Was Watching Building Burn, Flames Broke Out In Her Kitchen
Mrs. Susan Kilmer was sitting on the wooden awning in front of her grocery store, at Nevada street and the Reading Railway, last night watching a fire in the stable of John Dougherty, at 1023 Susquehanna avenue, when her son, William Kilmer, returned home for his hat. He had forgotten it in his haste to go to the scene of the fire. Upon entering his mother’s store he found it filled with smoke and discovered a fire in the kitchen of the building.
While Mrs. Kilmer was looking at the fire in the stable another fire, from some unknown cause, had started in the kitchen and the smoke cut off her escape. Her son quickly secured a ladder and carried his mother from the awing to the ground.
The fire in the stable was discovered by John Monagle, of 2160 Warnock street, who was on a passing trolley when he saw smoke issuing from the building. He jumped from the car, forcing open the door, rescued two horses that, tied in their stalls, were literally surrounded by flames. The loss on the stable was $1200. A number of firemen were forced to turn their attention to the second blaze, which they quickly extinguished.
Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 14 May 1904