Skip to Content

Adamsburg, PA Dynamite Explosion, Feb 1890

DRYING DYNAMITE IN A STOVE.

ONE MAN INSTANTLY KILLED AND THREE OTHER PERSONS SERIOUSLY HURT.

Greensburg, Feb. 24. -- W. M. CROCK, of Adamsburg, a village six miles west of here, took to his home Saturday afternoon a stick of dynamite, and it being damp he concluded to put it in the stove to dry. He did so, and in the course of ten minutes a terrible explosion occurred. The one-story kitchen was blown to atoms, and a piece of the stove shot into an adjoining room, striking WILLIAM STEMETZ on the breast, penetrating his right lung and killing him instantly. Flying missiles struck CROCK and his wife and child, who were in the room, and it is thought they are fatally hurt. The house is considerably damaged.

Indiana Democrat Pennsylvania 1890-02-27



article | by Dr. Radut