Beaver, PA College Fire, Feb 1895
BEAVER FEMALE COLLEGE IN ASHES.
NO STUDENT INJURED -- LOSS, $40,000, DUE TO FROZEN HYDRANTS -- TO BE REBUILT.
Pittsburg, Feb. 23. -- The Beaver Female College was destroyed by fire this morning. The students, numbering 145, escaped injury.
The fire was first discovered in the attic immediately above the classrooms and college hall, and originated in an overheated furnace chimney. In two hours the building was a complete wreck. The students saved nearly all of their effects, and much of the college equipment was also safely removed.
The Fire Department from Beaver Falls and New Brighton went to the assistance of the Beaver Department, but, on account of frozen water pipes and plugs, nothing could be done to save the structure.
The property destroyed was valued at $40,000, insured for $20,000. The college was owned by a stock company, and was under the immediate direction of the Pittsburg Methodist Episcopal Conference. The Trustees have determined to rebuild at once on a much larger and more extensive scale. The students will remain in the town of Beaver, and churches will be occupied as classrooms until the new building is ready for occupancy.
The New York Times New York 1895-02-24