Philadelphia, PA Woman Saves Boy on Fire, Jul 1911


Camden Lad Ignites His Clothes While Playing With Matches, Rescuer's Hands Burned.

Rushing through the street while ablaze 6-year-old Howard Johnson, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Johnson, of 826 Pine Street, Camden, was saved from death by a woman. Mrs. Patrick Burke, of 838 Pine street, went to the child's assistance. Both were taken to the Cooper Hospital.

It was while the boy was playing with matches that his clothing ignited. A moment later it was ablaze and the shrieking child aroused the neighborhood. Mrs. Burke was the first of several women to reach him. She tore off the blazing clothing and was herself severely burned on the hands. The boy will probably recover.

The Philadelphia Inquirer, Philadelphia, PA 14 Jul 1911