Woodward, OK Tornado, Apr 1947
A loud-speaker kept blaring its calls for blood donors. In the city hall alone there were more than 300 victims on cots, crying quietly, in the First Baptist Church....
Holds Phone Wire Together.
Hero of the Woodward disaster was L. L. Aurell, wire chief of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company. Climbing from the basement of his home after the upper part was blown away, Aurell went up a telephone pole at the edge of town to hold together the ends of a broken line. It was that way that Woodward's plight became known.
Along the highway, just west of Woodward, telephone poles were snapped off at ground level, and wire fences were blown from fence posts. Mangled farm machinery and buildings were visible from the highway.
The northwest third of Woodward was leveled, frame and masonry buildings alike were reduced to foundations. Fully half the rest of the city was damaged. Wind-wrecked shop fronts in the business district faced streets littered by twisted signs, shattered glass and brick and snarled telephone and power wires.
The wind toyed with motor cars -- tumbled them end over end into farm fields and upside down against buildings. One car ended deeply buried in a grove of tangled, uprooted trees outside the city limits, at least fifty yards from the highway.
Dallas Morning News, Dallas, TX 11 Apr 1947