Grove, OK Mobile Home Explosion, May 1986
OKLAHOMA BLAST KILLS THREE PEOPLE.
Grove, Okla. (UPI) -- A propane gas explosion rocked a brick-covered mobile home on Grand Lake northeast of Grove Tuesday, killing three people and injuring a fourth while they slept, fire officials said.
The dead were identified as:
AMMIE LYNN DAVIS, 8, Joplin, Mo.
Her grandfather, JOHN SNIDER, 62.
Her great-grandmother, MARGIE OPAL JACOBS, aged 85.
The injured woman was identified as the child's grandmother, KATHLEEN SNIDER, 58.
The force of the explosion threw MRS. SNIDER through a wall of the bedroom, where she and her husband were sleeping, said Fire Chief Dave Fischer. He said the woman landed 3 feet from the home. She was hospitalized at Grove General Hospital and transferred to Hillcrest Burn Center in Tulsa, Okla.
The child and JACOBS were sleeping in two other bedrooms.
The 2:30 a.m. explosion was triggered by propane leaking from a gas line in the house that was to have begun receiving natural gas Tuesday, Fischer said.
The explosion blew out the walls of the house and the roof caved in, he said.
"There wasn't much left of it when we arrived at the scene. Three walls were disintegrated," said Fischer. "All four walls had blown out. We've had debris blown 68 feet from the structure."
He said firefighters arrived 10 minutes after the explosion to find the rest of the house engulfed in flames.
"All that was left was the framing from the double-wide mobile home," Fischer said. "The rest of it had been consumed by fire."
Hutchinson News Kansas 1986-05-28