Piqua, OH Troop Train Derails, May 1945



One man was injured perhaps fatally, another suffered leg and back paralysis when approximately 24 soldiers were injured as eight cars of a 14-coach troop train were derailed at 1 p.m., cars leaving the tracks at the Pennsylvania railroad elevation near Roosevelt avenue. They were moved to Memorial hospital.
Two cars were upside down of the eight which were derailed on the westbound train.
Ambulances and physicians from Troy, Sidney and neighboring communities were called to the scene to assist Piquads in treating the injured servicemen.
Captain JOHN D. MITCHELL, in charge of the train, said that there were approximately 400 officers and enlisted men on the train, with their destinations being Camp Atterbury, Ind., Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and Fort Bliss, Texas. All were veterans of overseas service and were enroute home for furloughs. Most of them had served two or two and a half years on foreign soil.
Cause of the accident was still undetermined by railroad officials, with company authorities at Columbus scheduled to arrive late this afternoon.
At Memorial hospital, initial reports were that eight to 10 soldiers were to be X-rayed as a check against possible internal injuries.
In addition to the approximately 20 or more hurt and taken to the hospital, a number of soldiers were given first aid treatment for cuts and bruises at the scene, by nurses, Red Cross workers.
The derailing affected about the ninth car in the train, yanking it loose from the forward six cars and the engine which proceeded approximately one mile west of the scene before stopping.
As the cars tumbled down the embankment, two toppled over to lean against a yard engine and caboose on the switch track just north of the elevation.
In the derailing, enlisted men and officers were thrown about the cars, and in some instances, it was necessary to chop holes or break through windows to free the men from the wreckage.
Almost instantly after accident occured, police, and fire equipment was rushed to the scene and shortly after Red Cross units including nurses, first aid personnel, as well as the canteen corps arrived to assist army and civil authorities.
A call for blood donors brought more than 20 volunteers in addition to enlisted personnel who also were taken to the hospital for possible emergency uses.
The state patrol, sheriff authorities and civilian defense corps men using ropes, finally pushed the curious onlookers back from the scene.
Uninjured soldiers were rounded up and after receiving coffee, milk and Coca Cola served by the Red Cross canteen corps, were taken to the Y.M.C.A. where they were able to enjoy showers and a swim in the pool.
Captain MITCHELL, disclosed that every effort would be made to continue the journey for those men who are not injured, while others will remain either here over night or be transported to Patterson Field hospital at Dayton.
Captain MITCHELL also said that he sincerely appreciated the ready cooperation and assistance that had been accorded he and his fellow officers and that the treatment accorded both the injured as well as uninjured men was worthy of commendation.
Two hours after the accident, a convoy of ambulances with medical corps officers and enlisted men from Patterson Field arrived on the scene.
The officers and men in the first six cars of the train, scheduled to go to Camp Atterbury, may continue their trip late today, Army officials said. Whether or not, the others would stay overnight depended upon transportation facilities.

List Of The Injured:
T/Sgt. JERRELL H. ADAMSON, Edmond, Oklahoma, died as a result of injuries.
Pvt. ARTHUR W. JAHNS, Fremont, Ohio.
T/5 RAYMOND H. MORRIS, Jardin, Kentucky.
Cpl. ERNEST N. BANNON, Louisville, Kentucky.
Sgt. ELMER E. BRANDON, Pueblo, Colorado.
Pvt. HERMAN LOWINE, Pipile, Wisconsin.
Pvt. CHARLES E. TAYLOR, Compton, Kentucky.
T/5 WARREN HAMMONDS, Polly, Kentucky.
T/5 ROY FITZGERALD, Springfield, Virginia.
Pvt. WENDELL ELMORE, Glascow, Kentucky.
T/5 HENRY MILLER, Frankfort, Ohio.
Pvt. NERI AVERY, New Albany, Indiana.
Pvt. HARRISON LACY, Dresden, Ohio.
Cpt. JOHN A. TAYLOR, Jefferson, Indiana.
T/Sgt. C. C. HEIMONDOPTER, San Angelo, Texas.
Pvt. JOSEPH L. LEACH, Jackson, Ohio.
Lt. FREMOND HILL, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Lt. FARRIS SCOGGIN, Paris, Arkansas.
Captain HARRY TYE, Emineste, Kentucky.
Pullman Company Employees:
A. J. JACKSON, Boston, Massachusetts.
L. J. BRYANT, Boston, Massachusetts.
E. McCLAIN, Boston, Massachusetts.

The Piqua Daily Call Ohio 1945-05-21

TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE: Please visit the site www.canteenbooks.com for an excellent publication entitled "Angels At The Station" by Scott D. Trostel for further reading on this accident and the efforts of the Canteens during the Wars.