Dillonvale, OH Family Suffocates In Fire, Dec 1950

FAMILY OF SIX SUFFOCATED FROM SMOKE IN OHIO BLAZE.

Stubenville, O., Dec. 3. -- (AP) -- Smoke from a fire burning below their second floor apartment, killed a family of six today in nearby Dillonvale, Ohio.
The entire family of JOHN GALL, 39, proprietor of Johnny's Inn, suffocated, Dr. John P. Smarrella, coroner, said.
Both GALL and his wife ANNA, 32, refused to risk jumping from the second floor or to toss their four children to frantic watchers outside, Smarella added. Flames never reached the apartment.
The GALL family lived above the inn in an apartment. Fire, blamed on a defective refrigerator motor, broke out in the inn before dawn.
When Dillonvale firemen extinguished the blaze, they found the bodies of GALL, his wife, and PATRICIA, 9, BARBARA, 4, JOANN, 6, and JOHN, JR., one year, in a bedroom.

Morning Herald Hagerstown Maryland 1950-12-04