Greenwich, OH Gasoline Explosion, Aug 1927

BLAST CLAIMS FIRE ON OHIO FARM.

GASOLINE CAN EXPLODES IN FARM KITCHEN.

MOTHER, THREE DAUGHTERS AND GRANDSON DIE FROM BRUNS.

SHE USED WRONG CAN.

HOUSEWIFE MISTAKES GASOLINE CAN FOR KEROSENE IN BUILDING FIRE.

Norwalk, Aug. 25. -- (AP) -- Five persons are dead here today as a result of an explosion at a farm house near Greenwich in southern Huron County last night, caused by gasoline which was poured by mistake on a cookstove fire.
The victims were:
MRS. MAY HICKS, 35 years old.
DIVA HICKS, 3 years old, daughter.
MARY HICKS, 8 years old, daughter.
MRS. ROBERT POOL, 18 years old, married daughter.
MRS. POOL'S 6 months old son.
HOMER HICKS, husband of MRS. MAY HICKS, was seriously burned.
The family, was congregated in the kitchen when MRS. HICKS, mistaking a can of gasoline for kerosene dashed it on the fire. The room was enveloped in a flash of flame.
DIVA HICKS was killed almost instantly.
The other members of the family were taken by neighbors to a hospital where they died early today.
The farm house was only slightly damaged.
HICKS, although severely burned, succeeded in dragging the other members of the family from the room. Neighbors, summoned by the fire, found them and they were brought to the hospital in automobiles. All died within a hour of each other after several hours of unconsciousness.
One 10-year-old daughter who was in another part of the house was uninjured. She was the only member of the family who escaped.

Newark Advocate Ohio 1927-08-25