Mingo Junction, OH Train Collision, Aug 1883


Wheeling, West Va., Aug. 27. -- At 12:30 o'clock this morning a collision happened on the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad about one mile west of Mingo Junction, Ohio, where the memorable disaster in 1878 occurred. The Cincinnati express going west, drawn by engine No. 57, and the second section of an east-bound freight train, drawn by engine No. 93, came together while running at full speed on a curve where a high hill extends for a third of a mile. Both engines were demolished, and four freight cars, loaded with pork in boxes, lard in barrels, and oats in bulk, and the mail and express cars of the passenger train, were reduced to kindling wood. Owing to the character of the road where the accident occurred, trains approaching cannot be seen until close upon each other. The engineer of the passenger train, CHARLES WOLF, saw the other train coming, applied the air-brake, and reversed his engine, but this had little effect before the freight train, composed of 50 cars and coming down a grade, crashed into them.
The passenger coaches and sleeping cars kept the track, and the passengers escaped with slight bruises and a severe shaking up. WILLIAM HOYT,
of Indianapolis, a postal clerk, had a leg broken and his body so badly crushed that he will die. He was so surrounded by debris that chopping was necessary to release him. J. B. NEWMAN, of Indianapolis, another postal clerk, was slightly injured. WOLF had on of his thumbs amputated, and was badly bruised about the body and head. He will recover. J. T. WATSON and A. N. BROWN of Indianapolis, both postal clerks, and JOSEPH LITTLE, a colored porter, were in the postal car, and were all slightly hurt. The engineer of the freight train and both firemen jumped when they saw the danger, but Engineer WOLF stuck to his post. The accident resulted from the carelessness of Conductor SWANEY, of the freight train. The passenger train was 10 minutes and the freight train 30 minutes late. The latter had telegraphic orders to go to Mingo not later than 1:18 A.M., but the conductor did not read the order and thought the operator said 1:30 A.M.. By 10:30 A.M. the track was cleared and traffic was renewed.

New York Times New York 1883-08-28