Bismarck, ND Lamp Accident Dec 1907

BADLY BURNED

MRS. KOYER (sic) FALLS WITH LIGHTED LAMP SETTING FIRE TO HER CLOTHES-- NEIGHBOR EXTINGUISHES FLAMES BY ROLLING HER IN SNOW AND SAVES HER LIFE.

Mrs. Kooyer, wife of Engineer Kooyer of the 300 road, was the victim Sunday evening of an accident which came near being the cause of her death. She was going down into the cellar with a lighted lamp in her hand when she stumbled and fell, breaking the lamp and scattering the oil over her clothing, which took fire. Crazed with fear she ran upstairs and out into the street with her clothes and hair on fire. Charlie Hanson, living in the same block, hearing her screams, rushed to her assistance and, throwing her to the ground, rolled her in the loose snow and smothered the flames but not before she was badly burned. Her hair was nearly all burned off and patches of skin stuck to her underclothes as they were taken off. She was taken to the hospital and is resting as well as could be expected under the circumstances.

Mrs. Kooyer was not in the best of health and the shock was a terrible one to her. Had it not been for the timely arrival of help she would have been burned to death in a few minutes. Very little damage was done to the house or furniture. The fire alarm was sounded but the fire was put out before the firemen had received the call.

Bismarck Daily Tribune, Bismarck, ND 17 Dec 1907